After a short's night sleep on a Hello Kitty comforter, we woke up ready for our campers.
Pal, let me just be super vulnerable here.
Monday was not my best day.
I didn't expect a luxurious bed. I didn't expect decent food. I didn't even expect for my orphans to instantly love me. Shoot, I didn't expect to have orphanS... just one.
For all of my expectations, or lack thereof, nothing could have prepared me for Monday.
The pictures are few and far between because, like I said, Monday was not my best.
Here's breakfast. There was a lot of pretending that went on. I had to pretend that whatever was on those cucumbers was balsamic dressing. I had to pretend whatever piece of bread that is on the top right was a fake doughnut. I had to pretend the cake-like substance was pound cake. (Street food was wayyy better.)
Here's our dorm AKA The Castle. We had lots of toilet issues. And by "we" I mean just our room. Typical.
Then the bus pulled up. We were so giddy, the kids could hardly get off the bus. There was lots of announcing, "Everyone, please take three big steps back." I know how parents must feel when their kids get home from camp.
And then I find out I have two kids, not one like I was expecting.
Okay, I'm flexible. I can TOTALLY handle giving out some extra love.
So my first one gets off the bus. Precious Winnie. She has to potty. Okay, I'll send the translator with her while I wait for the other. (Hindsight: how did I ever think I could explain what was going on to my second child without a translator?)
My second child, Juju, is the last one on the bus. Except she won't get off the bus. Long story short, six of us pry her off the doors so the bus can leave. Alrighty, an EGR situation here (Extra Grace Required). I can do this.
Only this child won't talk to me. She won't let me touch her. She won't even look at me. Thinking maybe she's just a little shy, I try my best to gently coax her into responding to me without hitting me. Thankfully, one of the staff members with excellent Chinese helps me encourage her along.
Unprepared for this response? You betcha.
Now greatly aware of the fact that our family will be moving at our own pace during the week, I embark on getting us on to lunch.
2 1/2 hours later we get there. Juju won't stop crying and wimpering. It was pitiful, really. I had no clue what to do to make it better.
By the time we actually get to lunch, I am in tears. A complete and total wreck. I couldn't fathom how I was supposed to take care of two children who individually needed quite a bit of attention and care as well as form a meaningful relationship with my translator. I was at a loss for what to do for this scared child. Is this how new moms feel when their second child comes along?
Here's Winnie and my translator, Jane. You can see Juju in the background.
Thankfully another sweet staff member ordered drinks for me and my kids to help with, what we turned into, a long walk back to the dorms. Lesson learned early, juice is the way to my kids' hearts.
We had our family photo taken in our t-shirts, somehow managed to get to the pool with both kids and a staff member to translate (I could dedicate an entire post to the swimming pool/locker room experience), and then immediately turned around for dinner. That was all we did that day because that was all we could manage.
Needless to say, I went back to the room that night after tucking them in and cried some more. I was not expecting this kind of day. I had to ask for extra patience and love because I knew the week was going to be long. I had no clue what I had gotten myself into. In complete and total honesty, I was ready to go home.
Then I heard:
I don't call the equipped, I equip the called.
I could persevere. What choice did I have? Tuesday was going to be a new day.
See, I told you total lack of photos.
No comments:
Post a Comment