Sunday, February 7, 2010

let's go to the movies

Last night I saw "Dear John" with a few sorority sisters. As an English major I have this somewhat annoying habit of typically, if not always, reading books before I go see the movie. (Now, one of my biggest guilty pleasures is reading Nicholas Sparks novels. I've read them all, and I run to my local independently operated bookstore each time a new one is released.) I always have to keep in mind that movies just can't capture every detail written in books, and I can usually accept that. Last night was the exception. I hated "Dear John." I mean flat-out did not like it one bit. Nicholas Sparks almost writes his books to be turned into movies. There's a basic plot including one tragic event, a cheesy romance, and a predictable ending. Done. End of story. How difficult is it to turn that into a movie? "Dear John" left out so many important and sweet parts, and substituted those with rubbish.

However, I saw "When In Rome" today with some of my bible study girls, and I thought it was sweet. Predictable (see a pattern?), but sweet. It was quite comedic and had a nice soundtrack, too. "When In Rome" was definitely not a disappointment, especially opening up with Jason Mraz's "Kickin' With You." Listen to it here.

2 comments:

  1. hmm... was the title of this post inspired by the song from Annie? Please say yes.

    ReplyDelete