First of all, the trip was just encouraging, especially since I went into it with my fair amount of apprehensions. This was my first trip as a chaperone (in the loosest definition of the word), I was the only college student, and I pretty much had no idea what all was going on and if I was even in charge of anything.
Friday night I began the trip driving one of my youth minister's car to the other side of town to a place I had never been before. I get nervous driving my own car, but someone else's and to an unfamiliar area...yikes. We arrive, we eat (typical Shades), go over the plan for Saturday, and all spread out to various jobs: bringing in luggage, blowing up air mattresses, and making sandwiches for the next work day. I was in charge of sandwiches and successfully supervised a group of students making 80 meals for the next day. I already knew the best way to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (light coat of peanut butter on each side and jelly in the middle so it doesn't make the bread soggy), but I FINALLY learned what to do with the end pieces. You make the end sides face inward so that you can't tell it's an end piece by just looking at the outside. Sneaky, right? The end pieces are just a mental thing anyway, they taste the same as any other piece of bread. Anyway, we got lunches made and attempted to go to sleep, which was pretty much me telling all of the girls the lights were going out, and then going to sleep in the midst of their squeals. Hey, that was me not too long ago, right?
Saturday was spent split up into groups working at various places. My group went to the Changed Lives Christian Center in West End doing a little bit of landscaping to increase their curb appeal. We didn't really get to work with particular people there, but I know our work was greatly appreciated. That afternoon we went to the Civil Rights Museum...I'm not entirely sure why, but we killed a few hours there. After that we went to feed to homeless with Urban Purpose. I ended up with the glamourous job of walking around with the trash bag taking up people's garbage. I was totally okay with that until people started calling me trash girl, a name that seemed to stick for the rest of the trip. However, it did let me walk around and observe our students building relationships with these men and women who live their lives on the street. What an encouragement to see my friends tossing aside the differences between themselves and these homeless people to truly and deeply love on them! It made me so proud to have discipled some of these sweet students at some point in their ministry!
Sunday we worshipped with the Greater Shiloh congregation. What an experience that was. These men and women were dancing with joy as an offering of worship to our Savior. It was so neat to see a group of people praising the same God in all different ways, and each way was just as precious to the Lord. That afternoon we went to feed the homeless again and I was once again amazed at the maturity our students display. It made me realize how blessed I am to still be involved in such a Christ-centered church that actively obeys Jesus' commands to love and serve people our society has dejected. Sunday evening was spent resting and fellowshipping with one another as well as another great night of worship and debriefing.
Monday we jumped right back into work. I spent all day at the Lovelady Center as my mom lead the room makeover for two women living there. This may have been the most frustrating day of all. We had no idea what we were in for. We painted the walls in the room and bathroom which seemed to take forever despite the small size of the space. I spent most of my time out in the hallway doing my best to create art pieces to hang on their walls to make it a little more homey. I seriously don't know how we finished everything. We had such a hard-working group of students who did really gross tasks to prepare this room as if Jesus himself was going to stay there. It was so encouraging to see the work ethic put forth by everyone to make sure these women knew they were loved.
Tuesday, our last day, my group headed to the Foundry to work in the thrift store warehouse. We were there not only to help out with sorting donations, but mostly to just get to know the people who are in their rehabilitation program. One member of our group had found $1500 sewed into the lining of a dress in the pile she was sorting there previously in the week, so I think they were quite eager to have us back. From what everyone had said, I was expecting to be paired up with an older woman, but I was working alongside a precious 22-year-old and worked across from one of my friends who was paired with an 18-year-old guy. We just spent a little bit of time getting to know them and just goofing off together while still sizing clothes. I don't know how encouraging we were to them, but I left there feeling more uplifted than I ever have before. And it wasn't one of those "I'm just so blessed" sort of feelings. Don't get me wrong, I am, but those two people just spoke truth and encouraged me to not look like this world since that's what got them there in the first place. I will never forget those people, and I pray for the best for them.
Ultimately, I left the trip swelled with so many feelings. Proud of these students. Encouraged by everyone I came in contact with. Blessed by the fact that such an amazing church shepherded me. Eager to pour into others. Sad that I cannot weekly invest time into these ministries due to the distance of school. Reminded that I need to be consistent in covering those ministries with prayer. Humbled by grace. Overjoyed at the Savior I serve. My heart is full. And I know the Lord's purpose is for me to empty it again in His name. Christ, be the center of our lives.
No comments:
Post a Comment