"Jesus wept."
John 11:35
Preface: I'm a nerd, in a big way.
I'm in a few literature classes this semester, but today in British Lit I we were discussing a text from the fourteenth century. In the midst of our ridiculous class discussion (my class seriously rocks) the question was raised: was this woman crying merely for attention or as a true display of her penetrating sorrow? One point, which I found particularly convincing, was that her tears were a sign of her vulnerability and since she was weeping in public further drove home how humiliating this must have been for her to openly display such an intimate expression of emotion. Since the text we were reading was a religious work, the allusion to Jesus Christ's overwhelming sorrow in the Garden of Gethsemane soon before His crucifixion was made (Mark 14:32-52). How humbling of an experience must it have been to beg before the Father, asking Him to take away the cup of suffering? What a mighty love did it take for God to follow through with His plan, and Jesus to willingly partake? Sometimes I learn more in the classroom than I ever bargain for, and I'm so thankful for that.
No comments:
Post a Comment